The Clarke Hotel and Miller-Coors

The Clarke Hotel and Miller-Coors

Postby Steve Edlund » Thu May 07, 2015 4:44 am

What does the former developer/owner and another former owner/partner of the Clarke Hotel and Miller-Coors have in common?

http://www.jsonline.com/business/eight- ... 97761.html

I wonder if the Harley Fest event in Waukesha was investigated too?
Steve Edlund

Re: The Clarke Hotel and Miller-Coors

Postby Victoria » Thu May 07, 2015 5:31 am

We all know what they have in common, Steve.

It was an amazing and frightening time. We had an inexperienced mayor who wanted the downtown to succeed. He fell for Vallozzi's "Pied Piper" routine and cost the city a cool million or so. Many of us knew the equation was flawed but the downtown was trying to "come back" and Vallozzi had the pomp and circumstance and promised that he could make it happen. One would have liked to believe that the city had done their homework and knew what they were getting into.

The WDBA and the downtown "groupies" certainly rallied around Vallozzi and Ruggeri and anyone who dared question the equation was skewered.

I remember Kathleen Cummings asking appropriate questions that could have protected the city from the loss and she was ostracized and ridiculed. I think that Lori Luther protected the city from further loss when she helped draw up the contract for Harleyfest, so Vallozzi lost out on that one.

Just my opinion Steve, but thanks for the comments.
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby TheAntiPowell » Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 am

If any of you have sipped a brew at our place in one of our beautiful "Peroni" glasses then I must confess that they were a gift from Drew Valozzi. I wonder how much they cost the taxpayers of Waukesha?
TheAntiPowell

Postby Steve Edlund » Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I agree with you Victoria, that was an amazing era of bullying and bull----.

Remember the stadium in Frame Park proposed by developer Chad Bauer? I remember very well that Lori Luther was the only person to have reviewed his business plan. Thank goodness his bank was smarter.

Remember the application for Lake Michigan water and Milwaukee was the preferred supplier?
Luther told me there was no way Milwaukee was serious about Resolution 080457 because they were not going to pass up 5 million a year from Waukesha with all the police and firefighter overtime they pay. Still, it’s frustrating to think that we’ve spent 3 million on this inexperienced mayor’s dream to date and we’re in the exact same place we were in 2010. The biggest winner in that scam is the utility manager who will get a longevity bonus of $30k in addition to his thousands raise this year.

http://thepoliticalenvironment.blogspot ... igger.html

Amazing times are still happening though. Nobody paid attention to a motion by the school board to levy a tax above the max by 2 million this year on an “energy” scam. Karin and I voted no on the 8 million dollar (total) resolution. It’s perplexing to me that hard line, even middle of the road Republicans vote for allowing school districts to exceed revenue caps on local taxpayers. That seems very hypocritical in light of prevailing wage proposals that the legislative fiscal bureau said tax savings are “indeterminate” for all levels of government.
Steve Edlund

Postby Erik » Fri May 06, 2016 7:14 am

Erik

Postby Victoria » Fri May 06, 2016 10:45 am

Downtown Waukesha has had and continues to have a lot of Flim Flam men who want to use our fair city for their latest gimmick or idea to make money.

At least Vallozzi provided us with infastructure improvements that will last for 50+ years. We thank him for that.

He sure was a character!
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby Victoria » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Eighth Defendant Pleads In $8M Fraud Of MillerCoors
By Diana Novak Jones

Law360, Chicago (April 18, 2017, 5:55 PM EDT) -- The remaining person charged in an $8.6 million scheme to defraud MillerCoors LLC through falsified invoices for fake marketing events admitted to the crime Tuesday, closing the door on the fraud led by a longtime executive at the beer giant.
Andrew Vallozzi accepted a plea agreement and pled guilty to one count of wire fraud, joining former MillerCoors executive David Colletti and six other vendors Colletti recruited in copping to the scheme. Vallozzi faces up to 20 years in prison and will be ordered to pay $1,163,223 in restitution, according to his plea agreement.

Like his co-conspirators, Vallozzi operated several vendor companies that would contract with MillerCoors to host marketing events for the company’s products. Vallozzi would submit invoices to Colletti at MillerCoors for the purported cost of putting these events on. But the invoices were often inflated or entirely falsified, reflecting costs for events that never happened, prosecutors said.

Once MillerCoors paid the invoice, Colletti and Vallozzi or the other vendors would split the proceeds, according to court records. Colletti would collect his cut, either in cash, trips or collectible firearms, prosecutors said.

Vallozzi, who originally faced three counts in the 2015 indictment, admitted to submitting a false invoice for $67,490 to MillerCoors for a supposed responsible drinking program his companies, AVA Marketing & Communications LLC and Food and Beverage Network, put on for the company in 2010.

Vallozzi billed MillerCoors for logo development, copywriting, creative direction and “complete execution of the program,” according to his plea agreement. But the event did not take place as described, prosecutors said.

When he got the money from the invoice, Vallozzi used it to pay debts on an investment property he owned with Colletti, according to the plea agreement.

Vallozzi joins co-defendants Francis Buonauro, Roderick Groetzinger, James Rittenberg, Thomas Longhi, Scott Darst and Maryann Rozenberg — all purported vendors — in pleading guilty. Colletti, who worked at MillerCoors managing accounts for sales at stadiums and venues for 32 years, entered his own plea in 2016.

The scheme went on for a decade, ending in 2013, prosecutors said. All told, MillerCoors paid out $8,658,302 in approximately 200 invoices.

The first sentencing in the scheme is scheduled for next week, according to court records. There is no sentencing date set for Vallozzi, although prosecutors said he is likely to face between 33 and 41 months in prison.

The government is represented by Jennie Levin and Joel R. Levin of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Vallozzi is represented by Darryl A. Goldberg.

The case is U.S. v. Colletti, et al., case number 1:15-cr-00260, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Victoria
Site Admin

Return to Word on the Street