Historic Court House: Museum & Apartments?

Re: Historic Court House: Museum & Apartments?

Postby TheAntiPowell » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:01 pm

You just want me so that I can try and get a really good deal on a new Tennant street sweeper from my son-in-law!
TheAntiPowell

Postby Victoria » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:11 pm

I thought I had you fooled! :lol:
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby Victoria » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:52 pm

This is on the County Museum's website!
Our Museum Transformation has begun! Museum staff and volunteers are working hard on the next steps toward remodeling

No approvals thus far from the city. Maybe they think if they wish hard enough?

I see the Developer has dug out the T shirt's again. We only see the burgundy T shirts running around the downtown pretending to fix the older buildings when there is something about the County Museum on the City agenda. At least it keeps the Nissen Staffing Agency busy.

Sorry to those who don't understand the cryptic nature of this post. Those of us who live downtown get to see 24/7 which property owners maintain their properties and who only pretend to.
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby From the News » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:10 am

From the FREEMAN

Cerreta named new museum executive director

The Waukesha County Museum has a new executive director.

"Dennis Cerreta, who joined the museum just this year, has traded in his director of operations title to become its new full-time leading man."
From the News

Postby From the News » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:59 pm

From the News

Postby Victoria » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 am

I hope that the museum has a backup plan for needed repairs. It could be a very long 25 years..
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby From the News » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:16 am

From the News

Postby Victoria » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm

So are they saving the museum at the expense of our Historic Courthouse..

What is Plan B if the common council refuses to fund this foolish venture?
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby Victoria » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:03 am

They appear to be sacrificing the Historic Courthouse so they can save the museum!

Mission of the Landmarks Commission

The goal and mission of this Commission is as follows:

To protect, enhance and perpetuate the City of Waukesha's cultural, social, natural, economic, political and architectural history as embodied and reflected in its improvements, landmarks, landmark sites and historic districts

To stabilize and improve property values

To foster civic pride in the beauty and accomplishments of the past

To protect and enhance the City of Waukesha's attractions to residents, tourists and visitors and serve as a support and stimulus to business and industry

To promote the use of landmarks and historic districts for education, pleasure and welfare
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby From the News » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:53 am

From WaukeshaNOW:

Landmarks Commission signs off on revised plans for Waukesha County Museum project

Historic Court House - Apartments-.jpg
Historic Court House - Apartments-.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 632 times

From gmtoday:

Revised museum proposal moves closer to final approval

Commission approves preliminary plans to turn portion of building into apartments
From the News

Postby Victoria » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:01 am

Anyone surprised that the developer will be asking for TIF funds?

Maybe now the Common Council can get "the rest of the story" on how this particular developer was chosen to receive this gift.
Victoria
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:34 am

It seems like parking would be a big concern in this or any project. How many apartments downtown don't have parking built in to the plans? Do they depend on public parking lots? How much will this add to the tenants monthly costs? Having been a homeowner and living in townhome complexes, we have always had parking spaces; maybe downtown living has different rules about this, possibly this is just the way it works. Will this limit parking spaces for potential paying customers who want to shop downtown?

I also question how many "Luxury" or "Upscale" Apartments are needed in Waukesha.
Paul G. Pinkerton
Midland, MI
269-615-2308
Paul

Postby Erik » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:00 am

Paul, FYI, 36 indoor parking spaces are included in this plan. There are 32 units (of which only 5 are 2 bedroom).

As for your Luxury or Upscale apartment comment, in my opinion, we only have one upscale apartment complex, and that is the lofts. The other apartments are just simply nice apartments. Granite countertops do not equal luxury.

Sure, if you compare these new apartment projects to the majority of the apartments in our city, they'd seem luxury. But, that is just due to the poor state of upkeep and much needed renovations of those apartments.

I'll leave this below, a quote from my take on the Prarieville Apartments:
What exactly makes these apartments luxury? Is there concierge service? Resort-style swimming pool? Heated outdoor spa? On-site tanning center? Pet-friendly? Wine cellars? Bathrooms with garden tubs and ceramic tile? Gourmet kitchens with breakfast bar? Other elegant architectural details? Just because these apartments are new and feature builder-grade appliances/cabinets/fixtures does not mean they are luxury. The only thing that makes them luxury is comparing them to the other properties you own and rent out in downtown.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that this development is happening. I do believe there is a need for decent apartments downtown. It's one of the reasons why we never lived downtown when we still lived in apartments, and one of the key reasons we bought instead near downtown.

But... don't market them as luxury, as they are not, and do not price them as luxury, as they are not.
Erik

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:30 am

Thank you for your response on parking. From what I read I wasn't sure if it was included or not. I should have read the postings a little closer.
Paul G. Pinkerton
Midland, MI
269-615-2308
Paul

PreviousNext

Return to Word on the Street